U3

Post questions or comments about the J99 here.

U3

Postby room4studios » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:04 am

Just wondering how to install this component. It appears to be soldered in on the picture but i have 2 8-Pin DIP Sockets that i was presuming for use with this component.

Also i says 'orient the IC according to the silkscreen', which i'm not sure about either.

Also J5 with the 604ohm resistor. Am i right in thinking you connect the jumper if you aren't using older gear. My tech seemed to think that it would be the other way round as connecting the jumper would bring in the resistor.

Sorry for the tedious questions.

Cheers

Phil
room4studios

Postby tpryan » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:34 am

Just wondering how to install this component. It appears to be soldered in on the picture but i have 2 8-Pin DIP Sockets that i was presuming for use with this component.

Solder it in. You can use the sockets at U8/U9 to experiment with IC op-amps if you like.

Also i says 'orient the IC according to the silkscreen', which i'm not sure about either.

The IC must be installed with the pin 1 end oriented as indicated by the silkscreen outline. For packaging information, see the datasheet here: http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lt1013.pdf

Also J5 with the 604ohm resistor. Am i right in thinking you connect the jumper if you aren't using older gear. My tech seemed to think that it would be the other way round as connecting the jumper would bring in the resistor.

If the load on the output is a modern "bridging" impedance, say 10K ohms, you will get marginally flatter frequency response with the jumper connected. The only time you need to remove the jumper is if you know for certain that you're connecting to a 600 ohm load.
tpryan
Site Admin

Postby room4studios » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:05 pm

"The IC must be installed with the pin 1 end oriented as indicated by the silkscreen outline. For packaging information, see the datasheet here: http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lt1013.pdf"

I don't know if i'm being really thick but there is no indication on the chip as to which is pin 1. On the silkscreen there is a rectangle with a notch missing at the top. On the link above there is a diagram of a chip with a notch missing but my IC has no notch missing.

All i have to go on is what i think i can make out to by the writing on the IC being on the left in your assembly instructions picture.

Sorry if i'm dense but i dont get it...

Cheers

Phil

[/quote]
room4studios

Postby tpryan » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:56 pm

There's always some indication of pin 1. If there's no notch on the end of the package, there's often a small circle or indentation.
tpryan
Site Admin

Return to J99