Still loving the preamps!

Post general questions or comments about electronics and kit building here. Save specific questions for the forums below.

Still loving the preamps!

Postby billkahler » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:28 am

Just wanted to post a note. I think it's been 5 or 6 years since I built my preamps - 4) N72s, 2) 990s, 2) C84s.

Time and time again I am stunned at the quality of the recordings. Folks coming in have lovde the sounds too. Recording a bass direct through an N72 never fails - nice round full tight low end tone. Acoustic stuff through the c84s - very nice. Overheads through the 990s - fantastic. Everything I've recorded through the amps just sounds amazing. I ended up selling my Brent Averill 1272s because the N72s sounded better! And not just a little, not subtle, but by miles!

I recently had to fix a cold solder joint on one channel. Piece of cake! Before I built these, I would never have opened up any electronic piece of gear.

The hardware side of stuff is very impressive. Over the years I've poked around in other stuff, having the courage to take a look. The Seventh Circle stuff is built like a tank. This stuff will last for generations.

I can imagine some kid in the future saying, "Cool, huh? My great grampa built these pres!"

Thanks Tim! You totally rock!
rootsy folky rock five buck cds at
cdbaby.com/all/billkahler and free downloads at billkahler.com
billkahler

Return to General Discussion