success with J99

Post general questions or comments about electronics and kit building here. Save specific questions for the forums below.

success with J99

Postby veetguitar » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:25 am

Finally my two J99 are working!
The first thing that struck me was the amount of gain even when set to
the lowest gain stage.
But the most important thing for me was the sound. Even while monitoring through headphones the sound was so clean and natural.
I am not in the position to compare the J 99 with a variety of high end preamps. There is just my poor dbx 386 ....
The difference is huge to my ears...
Nothing to do with miniscule esoteric differences. It is like a beautifull woman that needs no make up- just natural beauty...
It is just that to put the impression into words might give a funny impression. Next thing to record will be male vocals....
I went into ths project of building with little experience of soldering, but had my work checked by an experienced guy.
However, I was not really happy with the powersupply, that came without any instructions at all. Without coming back to this forum, I couldnt have figured it out how to connect e.g. the power switch.
Also for putting the finished amps into the case I needed external help.
The wholes in the front were a bit too small for the poties and had to be enlarged by the fraction of a millimeter. I had to use other scews for the backside (XLR in and out).
Other than that the instructions were most of the time clear.
After all , the only thing that counts is the quality of the preamp which is superb.
Thanks!
veetguitar

Return to General Discussion