B16 caused PS to not turn on now.

Post questions or comments about the B16 here.

B16 caused PS to not turn on now.

Postby PJD3 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:44 pm

Hi There, thanks!
Short story is that my B16 causes the Power Supply to no longer even turn on. I assume that the B16 is somehow drawing an excessive amout of current making the PS go into a self protection shut down. When I initially used the B16 for the very first time this PS problem didn't exist and the compressor even passed a signal although I didn't feel it was functioning as it should. I wasn't even hearing any distinct compressor action, just level changes when certain adjustments were made. The B16 remained on for maybe 10 minutes. As some point I realized that the Power switch was ON but no signs of life, no LED's on, no power. The PS and the rest of my modules operate fine until the B16 has the power molex connected.
Can you suggest some preliminary tests or measurement I could make to try and see if there are any obvious smoking guns? I still need to do a thorough go over to see that all polarity sensitive components are oriented, correctly. Normally though, I wouldn't have expected it to even work for a second if a cap, diode, or regulator had been reverse but, I'm not an EE, just a tech.

Any advice would be very appreciated if you have the time.

Thank you!
Phil Donovan
First things first.
PJD3

Re: B16 caused PS to not turn on now.

Postby PJD3 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:28 am

Back again. Well, the problem was the same as another had with their B16. The regulator was grounding into the chassis and causing the power supply to shut down. Some insulation paper and RTV took care of that. Now, I'm just a little worried that any damage may have occurred to the compressor from the short. Hopefully the power supply was able to shut down fast enough to prevent any issues. Time to perform a thorough test on the B16 !

Phil Donovan
First things first.
PJD3

Return to B16