Puzzled about Wet/Dry

Post questions or comments about the B16 here.

Puzzled about Wet/Dry

Postby Phrazemaster » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:36 am

Hi, it seems obvious what wet/dry do, but I'm still a bit puzzled. I used an oscilloscope and a VST analyzer to calibrate the B16, and I noticed that if I turn the wet/dry knob all the way to dry, the amplitude of the signal goes way up.

This I might expect - if you are mixing a high level (uncompressed) signal with the lower level (compressed) signal, the mix ought to be lower. Theory is fine.

However, what I find very odd is that the level of the dry signal is higher than the bypassed signal level - much, much higher. Further, the gain knob only affects the wet signal - although in the manual it states that the makeup gain applies independently of the compression.

So perhaps I've misunderstood, but I would have thought the fully dry signal would be at the same volume level as the bypassed level. And I also would have thought the makeup gain would apply to the signal no matter the position of wet/dry. At fully dry, turning gain has no effect whatsoever; it only affects the wet signal and therefore only affects levels when I have the wet/dry knob at least somewhat wet.

Have I managed to make a simple statement complicated?

I have 2 B16's and they both calibrate fine, and they both exhibit this behavior.

Thanks in advance any replies.

Mike :D
Phrazemaster

Postby Phrazemaster » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:12 pm

After more troubleshooting and communicating with Tim, I've returned both my new B16's for his expert assistance. The problems I described shouldn't be happening, and despite rechecking every component on the boards, and replacing the OPA2604's, the issues remained. I'm puzzled; it was a clean build and I took my time.

In any case, I'll try to remember to report back here when I get them repaired, so if anyone else has these issues you'll have an idea what mighht be wrong.

Mike
Phrazemaster

Re: Puzzled about Wet/Dry

Postby Phrazemaster » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:10 pm

OK, I'm keeping my promise. Tim looked over my B16's and found nothing wrong with them! He said my calibrating was off by 6db, which may have been due to a shorted Pin3 in my testing rig, and he recalibrated it for me. I just tested them today and I'm enjoying them!

Thanks Tim!

Mike
Phrazemaster

Return to B16