test input and output configuration

Post questions or comments about the B16 here.

test input and output configuration

Postby PJD3 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:29 pm

I hope I ask this question right!

When applying an input signal for setting the trimmer pots, are we applying a balanced signal to the input or, just a single unbalanced signal to either "hot' or "cold" pin. (which I mean the plus or minus input pins). How would this also apply to measuring the output - just one of the output pins or do we need to measure in a balanced connection way? I ask because I'm aware there is a difference in level when we go from balanced to unbalance (6dB I think). All my voltages checked out so I soldered in the 4 IC's. Now, its time to set the trimmers and I want to make sure I'm doing this under the correct application of signal and measuring devices, primarily the way I'm connecting these to balanced inputs and outputs.

Thank You,

Phil Donovan
First things first.
PJD3

Postby tpryan » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:44 am

The easiest thing for most people to do is connect the module to a DAW interface. Drive the module with a line level sine wave and use the FFT plugin of your choice to measure the 2nd and 3rd harmonic.
tpryan
Site Admin

2nd a 3rd harmonics

Postby PJD3 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:58 pm

Thank you Tim. I will get an FFT plugin. Is it enough to just minimize the 2nd and 3rd harmonics amplitude or is it a balance/compromise between harmonic distortion and noise?

Thank you Tim,

Phil Donovan
First things first.
PJD3

Return to B16