2 Capacitors and a Transformer

Post questions or comments about the B16 here.

2 Capacitors and a Transformer

Postby Pepsifx357 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:24 pm

I just bought the b16. In the middle of stuffing the capacitors, I noticed two of them were clearly polarized, but the board showed no indicators of positive or negative. C12 and C15 only had the C number and a circle. No white halves for indicating positive or anything.

I tried looking over the included schematics for any indication of polarity. The schematics also indicate that this is a non polarized socket for the Capacitors. So I'm at a loss.

Also...I bought it with the steel core transformer. I assumed there would be some instruction of how to install it to the board. The N72 I put together had the color of the cable printed on the board, this one does not. There are two "resistors" there, that are basically acting as a bridge to connect. Will I have to remove those as well when installing the transformer?

Sorry for any ignorance on my part.

Thanks,

Ben
Pepsifx357

Postby Mylithra » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:57 pm

C12 and 15 are Bipolar caps and don't have a polarity. They can be installed in either direction. They should have a "BP" on the side of them.

Do Not install the 0r jumpers under the transformer.
Mount the transformer on the board using the screws and nylon spacers. Mount it so the leads are hanging off the same side as the holes..
The wiring will be 1:1
First wire to the first hole
2nd wire to the 2nd hole, etc
Do not cross any leads.. If you did , you got it wrong.

Jeff
Mylithra

Postby Pepsifx357 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:23 pm

Thanks for the response! I had another question though.

It passed all tests but one...

Connect the
negative meter probe to J2, pin 2 or any connection labeled PGND. Connect the positive
meter probe to the +18V pad shown below. You should measure very close to +18V.

I measured -5.84 volts. Obviously I've screwed up something here. I've checked all of the capacitors and they are correct. I've checked all the diodes, they are correct as well. Is there anything else I could check?

Feel free to insult my intelligence, I'd like to figure this one out. :?

EDIT: I think I might have figured out what the problem is. I checked the U5 voltage regulator and both pins measure 5.83 and -5.84 volts. I looked closer and insulted my own intelligence, as I realized that I didn't solder one of the legs in. Whoops.

Anyway, I hope that was the problem. I just hooked the soldering iron back in and waiting for it to heat up. I'll post as soon as I get another reading.
Pepsifx357

Postby Pepsifx357 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:36 pm

That was it!

It sounds great!

I'll be buying another this week!
Pepsifx357

Postby Pepsifx357 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:54 am

I tried to install the transformer, but I'm not sure it is correct.

After I soldered it in. I hooked it up and played with a bass through it.It sounded very distorted and had a very low output. I tried to play with the gain pot, but it didn't change anything. I'm thinking I've got it backwards. I installed it the way you said too. So my wiring is like this:

Starting from the edge of the board that the transformer is almost hanging off of:

Orange
Brown
Green
Purple
Red
Yellow
Blue
Gray
Pepsifx357

Return to B16