Stereo Linking B16

Post questions or comments about the B16 here.

Stereo Linking B16

Postby jmettam » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:50 am

Hi Tim,

Very excited about the Compressor!

Can you give us a quick summary of how the stereo linking works? From the instructions it looks like you add a single jumper between the two comps. Is this just summing the program material for the gain reduction?

Looks like the controls for each unit must still be set independently.

Thanks for any details you can give.

John
jmettam

Postby tpryan » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:16 pm

Right, the output of the RMS detectors is summed. There is no attempt to link the controls in any way.
tpryan
Site Admin

Postby Pepsifx357 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:43 am

tpryan \$m[1]:the output of the RMS detectors is summed.

Pardon me for the noob question, but I don't understand. What are the RMS detectors?
Pepsifx357

Postby jmettam » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:42 pm

Pepsifx357 \$m[1]:Pardon me for the noob question, but I don't understand. What are the RMS detectors?

Here's a good brief description:

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/rms.html

Basically it is the circuit that determines the audio level coming into the compressor so the compressor knows when to react.

In stereo mode you sum both sides into a single signal and feed that to the RMS detector of each separate compressor (each unit is only PASSING one channel of audio (L or R) but reacting to the summed audio of both (L+R). By summing the inputs and feeding the same signal to the RMS of both compressors, they will react identically (as long as the controls are set the same). If you don't do this, program material sent to only L or R can cause radically different responses between the two compressors. This is not necessarily a bad thing but for certain types of music it creates a very 'confusing' stereo image (Imagine each side pumping away with different rhythms).

Hope this is helpful (and accurate :>).

- John
jmettam

Mono operation when stereo linked

Postby john1056 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:30 pm

Hello,

I was wondering, if the compressors are stereo linked, can one still be used for mono sources?

Could the jumper between boards be controlled by a switch on the front of the chassis that breaks the connection for mono-operation of both compressors?

Thanks!
john1056

Postby tpryan » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:03 pm

Could the jumper between boards be controlled by a switch on the front of the chassis that breaks the connection for mono-operation of both compressors?

Sure.
tpryan
Site Admin

Postby john1056 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:58 pm

Based on the assembly instructions:

B16s can be linked in stereo pairs by connecting the TP1 pads on adjacent modules. Simply solder a jumper directly between the modules. You can break the stereo link by removing the jumper at J1 on either board. Jumpers must be installed at J1 on both linked modules to compete the link circuit.

Would the switch break the connection between the TP1 pads, or one of the J1 jumpers?

Thanks!
John
john1056

Return to B16